As part of the 20th anniversary celebration of Pro Bono Week, the organising committee asked for case studies which would help demonstrate the amazing contribution that lawyers across the UK have made over two decades. It is impossible to feature every example, so the number was limited to 20. The examples chosen are those not previously recognised by an award.
It is also emphasised that a great deal of pro bono help is provided week in, week-out by lawyers all year round, whether volunteering through a regular clinic, or by taking on a specific case. For the vast majority of cases, no recognition or publicity is ever given nor sought.
The 20 case studies will gradually be published during and immediately after Pro Bono Week, appearing below, and on the twitter feed.
- A life changing judgment
- A case of protection
- A guardian angel
- A 70 year commitment
- From Latvia to Wales
- The fight for integrated education
- A brighter tomorrow
- A cause for celebration
- A lifeline out of limbo
- Students making a difference
- A beneficial collaboration
- Redressing Magdalene Laundries injustices
- A perfect example
- Changing the trajectory of a life
- Law schools making a difference
- Giving voice to families
- Pro bono interventions
- Helping families affected by terror attacks
- Justice for a Guatemalan community
- Helping those on death row