A discussion on how we can better support and encourage experienced, transitioning and retired lawyers who are interested to volunteer, even to develop a second volunteer career in public interest law, pro bono work and supporting the community.
Despite the ongoing access to justice gap for low-income and underserved populations, this skilled, experienced and knowledgeable talent pool can often get overlooked when it comes to pro bono. How can we build pro bono opportunities into a new model of transition from retirement or a stepping back from full-time legal practice.? The session will focus particularly on the needs of the solicitors’ profession.
Discussion points include:
- What kind of programmes are most suitable?
- Contribution to skills
- The SRA rules which facilitate greater participation of this cohort
- Other ways to contribute legal expertise and skills, eg Boards, CA Honorary Legal Adviser roles etc
The panel includes:
- Chair, Robert Bourns
- Nicholas Pritchard (retired Partner)
- Tim Cave (East Greenwich Legal Advice Centre)
- Kate Buchanan (Islington Legal Advice Centre)
Register at the Eventbrite link below.