If you are organising an event whether online or in person, please let Mary Dobson Smith know email@example.com
- This event has passed.
The Role of Law in Climate Action – A4ID, CMS and Bloomberg
November 2, 2021 @ 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Advocates for International Development (A4ID) in partnership with CMS and Bloomberg is
Climate Change is the defining issue of our time and presents the single biggest threat to sustainable development. From rising sea levels to increased incidence of catastrophic weather conditions, the impact of climate change is global and unprecedented. Tackling climate change therefore calls for drastic action across all levels of governments and all segments of society, including the legal community, businesses, and development organisations.
The aim of this event is to build a greater awareness among the legal community on how the law, and the work of lawyers, can support the fight against climate change; show the diverse ways lawyers and in-house counsel can contribute to the fight against climate change through their client advising capacity and their pro bono work; and share success stories of lawyers and in-house counsel contributing to the fight against climate change.
The SDG Legal Initiative aims to reach every legal professional in the world. Working through our networks of firms and corporations, it seeks to provide the knowledge and opportunities needed to take practical action to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure that all people enjoy peace and prosperity. The Initiative is driven by a Steering Committee with membership from 13 of the world’s leading international law firms and corporations including CMS and Bloomberg, invested in achieving change in their sectors. It aims to build partnerships to revolutionise how pro bono and other legal work is carried out, and highlight the business case for all lawyers and law firms globally to adopt the SDGs at the heart of their practices.
- David Levine, Chief Legal Officer, Bloomberg
- Rt Hon Lord Carnwath of Notting Hill – former Justice of the UK Supreme Court
- Yasmin Batliwala, Chief Executive, A4ID
- Penelope Warne, The Senior Partner and Chairman of the UK LLP Board and Head of Energy & Climate Change, CMS
- Valerie Borden Farkas, Head of Legal for EMEA, Bloomberg
- Guy Pendell, Partner, Head of Disputes, CMS
- Olivia Jamison, Partner, Environment, CMS
- Anthony Kenny, Assistant General Counsel – Corporate, GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Becky Annison, Director of Engagement, The Chancery Lane Project
Please register at the link below.